Bay Class Frigates were to be the final warships built in the Leith Shipyards of Henry Robb.
HMS PADSTOW BAY Ship No 350
The last of the warships built in Henry Robb at the end of World War II.
Bay Class Frigate
Were modified Loch Class Frigates which converted to Anti Aircraft support ships.
On a displacement of 2530 tons at full load she was powered by 2 x Admiralty three drum boilers driving four cylinders, triple expansion giving a total of 5,500 hp with a top speed of 19.5 knots. The ship carried a compliment of 157 men.
They carried heavier AA weaponry and three different radar directors. They were the pinnacle of Anti Aircraft design against piston engine aircraft. The main changes from the Loch Class were the fact that the hull, superstucture, engines and basic layout of the new class remained unchanged.
The major changes were to the ships weapons, which consisted of two twin 4in A/A mountings and two twin 40mm bofors.
Fire control for the 4in guns was by Mkv director with a 285 radar, The 40mm s were directed by a simple tachymetry director on each mounting. For Anti-Sub use a Hedgehog mortar was mounted on the fo/castle, whilst on the quarter deck was the usual outfit of rails and mortars.
They still carried a hedgehog and depth charges but primary role was now AA, intended to give support to the D Day landings and for the Pacific theatre where the main threat was from air attack. Use of pre-fabrication and the ability to use a common hull for different variants were features that ensured much of the Bay and Loch classes would influence post war Escort design for may years to come.
The excellent sea keeping qualities of the hulls were ably demonstrated on several occasions when ships of the class rode out Typhoons which were a common hazard in the Far East.
By the mid 1950 the usefulness against modern aircraft was in decline, so in 1956 the first of the class went to the breakers. Several ships were sold abroad and served into the 1970's.